Turkish Renewable Energy Congress

Turkish Renewable Energy Congress

+44 203 3554223
[javascript protected email address]
Istanbul, Turkey

Business Details

Start Date
28 Nov 2016
End Date
1 Dec 2016
Renewable Energy
International / National
Times Held Before


Ⅰ. Introduction:

TIREC 2016 unites those committed to Turkey’s renewable energy sector, intent on ensuring development continues at pace and existing projects deliver optimal returns. As Turkey maintains its substantial economic growth its renewable energy sector continues to attract significant investment from both domestic and international players. Policymakers have outlined ambitious renewable targets of 40GW by 2023, a figure that would see clean energy contribute one-third of Turkey’s energy mix. This bold aim is designed to ensure its energy security and meet future energy demand; all whilst capitalising on the country’s vast clean energy resources.

Amid this backdrop of political will, strategic investment and resource potential TIREC serves as a platform both for sharing critical business intelligence and senior-level networking. With a 3 day agenda, compiled following 80 in-depth interviews with senior sector representatives, as well as extensive business matchmaking opportunities, TIREC will help you develop the strategies and partnerships needed to play your part as Turkey’s renewable sector goes from strength-to-strength.

Ⅱ. Conference Topics:

◆ Turkey's wind power market has been a fast-moving success story in recent years. Since 2011 installed wind capacity has grown five-fold from 1GW to 5GW. It is estimated that approximately 60% of wind power projects are owned by local developers, with the remaining 40% in the hands of larger inter national players. As installed capacity has risen and the market become establis hed wind developers, investors and operators have increasingly shifted their attention towards operational efficiency and improving technical feasibility of projects. This also comes amid suggestions that top class sites are gradually running out. Nevertheless a 3GW tender for new projects is due to be announced in May 2016, fol lowed by a 2GW tender in 2017.

◆ Given today’s approximate installed capacity of 400MW Turkey will need to grow its installed capacity by over 10 times to reach its 5GW 2023 target. With Turkey standing second in Europe only to Spain in terms of annual sunlight, one could be forgiven for thinking Turkey's solar PV potential is thus far under exploited. A comb ination of difficult to navigate bureaucracy, policy uncertainty and a lack of consistent political will all said to have hindered solar growth so far. Nevertheless there are many reasons to remain optimistic about the potential of Turkey's solar PV sector.

◆ Turkey's geothermal sector currently accounts for 600MW of installed capacity, with a further 400MW targeted by 2023 to bring overall capacity up to 1GW. This would see Turkey move from 10th up to the top five countries glo bally for installed geothermal capacity. Turkey's estimated geothermal resource potential of 4.5GW, alongside clear government backing to exploit this has seen large Turkish conglomerates such as Zorlu, BM Holding and Gurmen Group develop projects. Whilst major international players in the geothermal power industry such as Turboden, Ormat, Atlas Copco, Schlumberger, Munich Re and Power Engineers all have a keen foc us on the growing Turkish market. Geothermal power projects in Turkey are however incentivised to use local content with additional FiT for locally manufactured turbines, generators and steam injectors.

Last Update