N-type c-Si solar cells mainly include N-PERT/N-PERL cell, interdigitated back contact (IBC) cell and hetero junction (HJT) cell. Compared to P-type c-Si cell, N-type c-Si cell has high minority carrier lifetime, no light-induced attenuation (LID), good low-light effect, low temperature coefficient, is expecting towards the theoretical highest efficiency of c-Si solar cells. In Sep. 2016, Kaneka’s HBC (HJT+IBC) cell efficiency has achieved a record of 26.33%. ITRPV 2017 forecasts N-type silicon wafer market share will continue to increase, with more than 10% in 2019, and more than 26% in 2027.
N-PERT and N-PERL cells have simple structure, large potential to enhance efficiency, and can achieve bifacial power generation. YingLi, Jolywood and HT-SAAE have been achieved mass production of high efficiency N-type mono-Si bifacial cell. Bifacial modules can achieve 10% -30% power generation gain, once was the unique advantages of N-type cell, but now challenged by the P-type bifacial PERC. In addition, N-PERT and N-PERL cell production lines can be upgraded from existing P-type lines, maximally retain and use the existing equipment and processes to save investment.
HJT is the next generation of solar cell technology that is closest to mass production. It has advantages of high conversion efficiency, simple low-temperature manufacturing process, thin wafer applications, low temperature coefficient and CTM, bifacial power generation. Panasonic has achieved mass production of HIT series modules. In Dec. 2016, Fujian Jinshi Energy started up 6×100MW production lines. In May 2017, Jinneng Group’s 2GW HJT cells and modules Phase 1 project put into operation. With the capacity expansion, cost reduction space of HJT cells is worth expecting.
IBC cell’s P-N junction and electrodes are all on the back, completely eliminating the gate line shading of front surface, the average mass production efficiency is up to 23%. But IBC cell requires high quality wafer, and production processes are complicated, so the cost is high. Using industrial technologies in the production line, such as screen printing, tube diffusion or ion implantation, is the key to achieving low cost IBC cell. Jolywood has planned 10GW N-type bifacial IBC cell project, 3GW will start construction by the end of 2017.
2nd N-Type c-Si Cell and Bifacial Module Forum 2017 will be held on 12 December in Changzhou, Jiangsu, China. The upcoming conference will discuss PV industrial outlook & N-type solar cell & bifacial module market; N-type silicon wafer quality improvement & cost reduction outlook; N-PERT/N-PERL, HJT & IBC cells technology updates and mass production; N-type cell performance improvement potential & cost reduction; N-type solar cell metallization process & advanced pastes; bifacial module system optimization and real power generation benefits, etc.
● PV industrial outlook & N-type solar cell & bifacial module market
● N-type silicon wafer quality improvement & cost reduction outlook
● N-PERT/N-PERL cells different process routes comparison & efficiency optimization
● TopCon technology progress and its application prospect on N-type cells
● Upgrading solutions for P-type cell production line to N-type
● N-type cell key equipment mass production and localization
● N-PERT, HJT and IBC solar cells metallization process & advanced pastes
● IBC cell industrialization manufacture & cost reduction
● HJT and IBC technology portfolio application prospects
● N-type mono-like-Si ingot casting technology & its DWS process
● Bifacial power generation optimization - module design and tracking bracket
● Bifacial module real power generation benefits and economic advantages